Sunday, October 25, 2009

Henna Wash-out Method and Results

Three words can sum up my henna experience: I. Love. Henna. My new growth is showing more of the effects of henna, but my relaxed ends are so thick, smooth and healthy. Rinsing it out was , for lack of a better word, a messy experience.

This is the morning after the henna application. I had the henna in from 6pm to 11am.

My method to wash it out took quite a long time, but was very effective.

First, I soaked my head in the tub because some of the henna around my hairline and the nape of my neck had dried. I found that too messy (the water turned completely greenish-brown in 30 seconds) so I stood up to shower only to discover that shower made my hair splatter henna the all over the walls and tub. I advise that, while kneeling, you run your head under the tub faucet until the water leaving your hair is only slightly greenish brown. If you have a detachable shower head you should still stay low or the henna will spray everywhere.

Second, I let the water rinse through my hair for about 5 minutes and then apply two full handfuls of conditioner. I used Aussie Moist and HE Hello Hydration. After the conditioner was applied from root to tip I parted my hair into two sections and ran my hair under the water for a moment than massaged my scalp until the conditioner foamed (it foams light brown, when it's supposed to be white). I made the mistake of not scratching through my scalp (lightly, mind you) the first time so I had to go back and shampoo after I had DCed and co-washed 3-4 times because when I parted my hair after towel drying the henna was still on my scalp.

Third, I DCed with Lustraslik Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise, and Lustrasilk Cholesterol deep conditioning cream. I saturated my hair with the product and then let it sit on my hair for 2 1/2 hours. I would have let it sit longer, but I was getting impatient and my hair takes FOREVER and a day to dry. When I rinsed out the DC I had to shampoo again, like I said before, so I put HE Hello Hydration on again for about 10 mins in the shower and rinsed with cold water.
At that point my hair was henna free and moisturized. I do agree with others who say henna dries your hair out, cause it did mine.

Finally, I french twist-braided my hair (see the video in the post below) and I can already see the difference in my hair and it's 80% dry. It's so shiny! I will definitely henna again next month.



Until next time: A penguin high five explosion!

No comments:

Post a Comment