Sunday, October 18, 2009

Bunning

I am going to try some bunning styles since winter is fast approaching and the weather has been insane here in R,VA. The last couple days have had an average temperature of 40-45 degrees (no joke!) so my hair has been in a hat/scarf frequently. So far I have tried the donut or sock method, the Curly Nikki bun, and what I call the tangle bun [I might to a how to, my first one, for this one. it's really easy] and I will try to wear Mane & Chic's southern tease tomorrow possibly if my hair isn't dry tomorrow morning. I also want to try a bantu knot bun.Here are links for some of the bun styles:




My favorite of the ones I have tried is the donut bun. I prefer to use socks instead of store bought donuts, because I can cut them to different sizes.

How to make a sock donut:
  1. Take an sock and cut a hole in the toe. You can also cut more than the toe if the sock is angled or if you want a smaller bun. Also you should use a brown or black sock so that if your hair doesn't completely cover the sock it won't show as much. I use a white sock covered by a black sock.
  2. put your thumbs on the the inside of the sock (either end, whichever your preference) and roll until you reach the end. You may have to fold end under, or roll from the other side.
  3. If you are using a white sock and covering it with a brown or black sock cover the rolled white sock with the black sock and pull the end through the middle. I stretch out the middle a few times during the process to make it easier to get my hair through.


How to do a bantu knot out bun:
  1. While my hair is still wet after washing, conditioning, and detangling I either pull my hair into a high or low ponytail and secure using a hair tie (skip this step if you want)
  2. I then use Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In conditioner, Aussie Moist, Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum, and Aphogee Leave-in Conditioner to smooth and wet my hair a little more.
  3. I put Cantu Shea Butter and Lustrasilk Olive Oil Cholesterol on my ends.
  4. I take my hair from where the ponytail starts and twist my hair around itself until I reach the tip of my ponytail. Then I continue to twist until my hair starts to bend. I keep twisting the hair around itself until I reach the end and tuck it under the Bantu Knot and use a pin to hold it in place. It should resemble a bun, but be kind of misshapen.
  5. I put on my satin scarf and go to sleep. In the morning I undo the twist, fluff, and either tuck the hair under, wear it as a pontytail or put it into a donut bun.

No comments:

Post a Comment